Five relevant National 4s or Intermediate 1's, or a pass in a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent. Students without any formal qualifications, but with life experience and a demonstrable interest in the subject area will also be considered for entry. A place on the course is subject to an interview process.
This course gives you a good introduction to what you’ll need to know and understand to work successfully in a care practice setting. The focus is on understanding why people use care services, and developing your skills to support the health and wellbeing of others.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll explore health and social care provision, and what’s involved in working in the care sector. Change to paragraph in yellow
- You’ll develop basic health awareness, including the main body systems (such as respiratory and digestive) and how to take basic health measurements like pulse or blood pressure. (Take out)
- You’ll look at human development and behaviour to understand the needs of people using care services.
- You’ll explore how social influences can impact on people and their life chances. You’ll look at what society can do to improve the life chances of individuals using care services.
- Discover about mental health concepts
- You’ll learn about working safely, with the emphasis on the spread of infection and how to control it. Take out
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. Essential Skills could include a combination of SQA Core Skills units such as communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
- Finally, you’ll have the chance to focus on your own Personal Development, building your confidence, self reliance and interpersonal skills through a range of projects.
Throughout the course, you’ll hear from a range of guest speakers, including people from the health board, local care services and the police.
Progression on to SVQ level 2 Social Service and Health Care wide range of relevant vocational courses at SCQF Level 6 or employment.