Sport and Fitness
Introduction to Sports and Fitness
Short Full-time, 18 weeks
From 9 Jan 2020
If you’re into sport and fitness and are thinking about a future career in the sport, exercise or leisure industry, this course can help you get started.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in sport and fitness
- An interview with us
- Qualifications at Access 3 or National 4 level
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
Your course will incorporate units at SCQF Level 4 and 5 in order to ensure a smooth progression towards higher level sport and fitness units/qualifications.
This course gives you a good introduction to sport and fitness. It’s an excellent first step to developing the knowledge and skills you’ll need in preparing for employment or higher level study.
You’ll spend most of your time in our fitness suites and sports facilities, both indoor and outdoor. Motivation and participation is essential, and you’ll work alongside your peers, gaining confidence and developing leadership skills.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Sports Activities - you’ll develop your own skills in a range of sports such as football, badminton or volleyball, so you can coach them effectively.
- Circuit Training - you’ll improve your own fitness with exercise for your whole body, featuring every component of fitness training.
- Resistance Training - it’s all about Push and Pull, as you safely train those muscles for strength.
- Contemporary Fitness and Exercise Training - ever tried spin, HIIT or plyometrics? It all sounds a bit painful, but you'll love it!
- Developing Leadership within Physical Activities - you’ll plan your own short coaching session to try and improve your players.
- Teamwork through Sport and Recreation - "Teamwork makes the dream work". We all need the support of a team to ensure success, and you’ll practise this through a range of activities.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto Level 5/6 Sport and Fitness or Advanced Sports and Fitness (Level 6/7) or, with outstanding achievement, an HNC such as HNC Coaching and Developing Sport
- Exploring your future career options such as Active Schools opportunities, Sports Coach opportunities or Leisure Centre roles.
With additional qualifications at Level 6 or HNC/D Level (Level 7/8), other career options will become possible.