Access to HNC Accounting, Administration and Business
Short Full time, 18 weeks
Every type of business and organisation needs people with accounting, business, administration and IT skills to help it run efficiently. This ranges from small specialist firms to large national companies and government organisations like local councils or the NHS. There are also many different roles available, including financial, administrative, secretarial and supervisory management - so if you invest in some good skills now, you could have a great future ahead!
If you’ve got aspirations for a career in accounting, business or administration, then this course can help you on your way.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working in accounting, business or administration
- Four National 5s, ideally including English or Maths OR a relevant NQ qualification at Level 5
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
You’ll learn skills and strategies to make sure a busy office operates efficiently. Topics you’ll look at include planning, effective team work, recruiting and looking after staff, good customer care and - a central part of most organisations - meetings!
You’ll develop your digital skills and look at all types of social media. You’ll learn about the role of social media in business, and how it’s used for marketing purposes.
You’ll also look at basic book keeping and learn to use commercial software for accounting purposes like SAGE.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
To get you up to speed on the legal side of things, you’ll explore Scots Law, including the difference between criminal and civil law, and how the courts system operates.
We’ll also help you develop your skills for employment, such as working as part of a team and creating a CV to get you noticed.
Finally, you may have the chance to:
- Visit a Sheriff Court as part of your studies in Scots Law, and observe a real case
- Visit local businesses, such as hotels, tourist attractions or accounting firms so see how they operate
- Hear from successful business employers who’ll give you their top tips and tell you the key skills they look for when recruiting new employees
- Take part in enterprising activities, such as raising funds for charity and good causes
Some students may also have the opportunity to:
- Work on a real project for a local business, such as helping them set up their IT systems, which can sometimes lead to employment.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 7 course such as HNC Accounting, HNC Business or HNC Administration and IT
- Seeking to start your career in a business environment in finance or customer care