Foundation Apprenticeship Scientific Technology (Laboratory Skills) Y1
This is a course for school pupils
Kilwinning campus (one year)
Tuesday -9:00 – 4:00
Thursday – full day work placement
From 8 Jun 2020
Who is the course for
The science laboratory is a unique learning environment that enables and combines "learning through doing". Some of the world’s most amazing discoveries have been made by people working in laboratories.
A Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies offers you the opportunity to enhance your understanding of putting theory into practice, improve your reasoning skills, and develop practical skills in laboratory work.
If you can see yourself working in the sciences, particularly in a laboratory, this course is for you.
You can choose a Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies as one of your school subject choices. The course takes 1 year to complete, starting in S5 or S6.
You’ll spend part of your week at college and also go out on work experience. And don’t worry about getting to and from college/employer – all your transport will be organised and paid for too.
What is the course about
This course lets you find out what a career in scientific technologies would really be like - and if it’s right for you.
- A National Progression Award (NPA) in Applied Sciences at SCQF level 6
- Three SVQ units of an SCQF level 6 in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (Industrial Science)
- A substantial work placement
Example of course units include:
- Laboratory safety
- Mathematics for science
- Fundamental Chemistry
- Experimental Procedures in Science
- Prepare compounds and solutions for scientific or technical use
- Carry out simple scientific or technical tests using manual equipment
- Follow Health and Safety procedures for scientific or technical activities
What do I need
For a place on this course, you’ll need: a pass at National 5 in Chemistry (C or above), Maths and English.
How will I be assessed
A mixture of: ongoing workplace assessment, assessed practical activities and written tests.
You may progress to:
- Modern Apprenticeship
- HNC at College