Foundation Apprenticeship Food & Drink Technologies (Loudoun Academy)
All Ayrshire Schools
This is a course for school pupils
Tuesday 8.50am - 3.40pm
Thursday 9.00am - 4.00pm
From 8 Jun 2020
Who is the course for?
This one year Foundation Apprenticeship will be offered in the academic year 2020-21 with delivery based at Loudoun Academy, one day a week. Learning will be supported through East Ayrshire Council and gives candidates the chance to learn about the principles of food science and food safety, from developing marketable food products for today’s consumer to the care, legislation and processes involved in creating those products.
You can choose a Foundation Apprenticeship Food & Drink Technologies (Loudoun Academy) as one of your school subject choices. The course takes one year to complete, and can be done in S5 or most likely, for the majority of candidates, in S6.
In addition, a work placement equivalent to one day per week will be arranged, which will be tailored as much as possible to reflect your school timetable commitments.
What is the course about?
The Foundation Apprenticeship consists of a National Progression Award (NPA) in Food Manufacture and 5 units of an SVQ in Food and Drink Operations. The course offers an opportunity for learners to delve into the background of food and drink manufacturing and how it can be applied to a range of food products. Candidates will also achieve REHIS Food Hygiene and Health & Safety, both of which are expected as standard in the industry.
Learning in the NPA covers:
• Food Manufacturing: Fundamentals of food science and Food Production
• Food Manufacturing: Commercial and Social Drivers and Sustainability
• REHIS Food Hygiene: Elementary
• REHIS Elementary Health and Safety Certificate
Learning in the SVQ covers:
• Develop Productive Working Relationships with Colleagues
• Interpret and Communicate Information and Data in Food and Drink Operations
• Contribute to Continuous Improvement of Food Safety in Manufacture
• Develop a New Product in a Food Business
• Promote and Support Creative Thinking in a Food Business
What do I need?
For a place on this course, you’ll need:
• To be keen to learn new skills
• To be confident at working at SCQF Level 6
• To have a career aspiration to work in the food and drink industry
How will I be assessed?
• Unit assessment
• Continuous assessment
This qualification is suitable for a variety of learners, perhaps most obviously, those planning a career in the food and drink industry.
The qualification is recognised as equivalent to a Higher by most universities for most related courses, and further guidance on this will follow.
Learning pathways for pupils completing the course can include employment within the industry; a Modern Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Operations; progression into HNC/D at college; or study at degree level at university.