Studying a college course can be a big decision for any young person and we want to make sure that you have as much support and information as possible to make the decision a little easier.
In each campus, across Ayrshire, we have a designated team member who has a specific role to provide support, advice, and guidance to our students who are in care or through care services.
The student services team know that you may be feeling a little anxious but be assured we are here to help you. Our students are at the heart of what we do.
Within the team, you will have a key contact who can help you settle into the College as well as provide you with information and guidance on:
Ayrshire College is committed to supporting all students to ensure they have a positive learning experience.
We have dedicated staff who provide information, advice and guidance at all our campuses. Staff have completed specific training in Corporate Parenting.
We offer support to students who have been, or who are currently looked after by their local authority or in kinship care. We also support young carers.
The support we offer to care experienced young people and young carers, is discussed and agreed on an individual basis.
SUPPORT WE OFFER:
Our staff can offer you a wide range of support including:
- Named contact for all care experienced young people
- 1:1 information, advice and guidance
- Help with choosing the right course and applying to college
- Priority processing of applications
- A guaranteed interview if you meet the course entry requirements
- Working with curriculum staff, funding, and guidance tutors to give you as much support as possible
- Prioritise student funding and childcare
- Meet with you to work out what support you need and put a personal support plan in place if necessary
- Help with the next steps
The college staff and your key workers will work together with you to make sure that you get the support you need. Students have told us they value the contact they have with our team as it makes the experience of going to college much easier.
Ayrshire College Student Association is currently developing support networks for those students who are in, or have been in care. Student Presidents are available on each campus and are happy to have a chat with students about issues and concerns.
Kids in Care: Let's start a revolution. Watch this powerful TEDx Talks video of Laura Beveridge a Development Officer at Who Cares?