Health and Social Care
Access to Social Work (SWAP)
Comparable to Level 6
Full time, one year
If you’d like to train as a Social Worker, but lack the necessary qualifications, this could be the course for you.
Access to Social Work is part of the Scottish Widening Access Programme (SWAP) and is specifically for people who have been out of full-time education for at least 5 years. It prepares adult returners for entry into Higher Education and can lead to a place at college or university.
SWAP courses have helped many adults become aware of their abilities and given them the self confidence to successfully progress to a degree.
For entry to this course you will need:
- A real interest in working with people
- An interview with us
- A satisfactory reference Previous experience in the Health & Social Care sector
- Values and Principles in Care
- Social Influences
- Human Development and Behaviour
- Understanding Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Social Services in Scotland
- Communication in Care Relationships
- Caring for People with Dementia
- Working with Individuals with Additional Support Needs
- Essential Skills - Communication, Numeracy, ICT
- HNC Social Services
- Moving on to a degree in Social Work
This course develops your skills and knowledge in preparation for a degree in Social Work.
Here’s some of the units you’ll study:
When you successfully complete this course, you'll have the choice of: