Music and Sound
HNC Sound Production
Full-time, one year
Unlock the secrets of audio production and delve into the world of freelance engineering, remixing, and post-production with our HNC Sound Production course. In a rapidly evolving industry, this one-year course equips you with the essential skills and knowledge you need to excel.
To apply for this course, you'll need:
- a genuine interest in the music industry or theatre production
- at least one Higher, preferably in Music Technology or Music
- Core Skills at Level 6
- alternatively, a relevant NC/NPA course at SCQF Level 6 or equivalent, such as NC Sound Production – Recording
- an interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please do apply.
Our course provides hands-on experience with state-of-the-art live sound and studio equipment used in today's industry. Here's a glimpse of what you may learn:
- sound production theory: Explore audio recording and reproduction equipment and techniques, including microphones, stereo audio imaging, and audio signal processing
- audio engineering: Develop skills in multi-track recordings.
- mixing: Master the art and science of mixing multi-track recordings
- acoustics: Dive into the nature of sound, human auditory perception, and sound behaviour in enclosed spaces
- sound reinforcement: Learn about sound reinforcement equipment for various live events, such as music and audio-visual
- digital audio workstations: Gain proficiency in recording and manipulating audio and MIDI signals for sound production
- the creative industries: Understand the broader context, including commercial organisations, sources of support, advice, and funding
Additionally, you may have exciting opportunities to:
- collaborate with our record label, Sun Turtle Records, and assist artists in recording and releasing original music
- work with our PR and Events company, High Tide PR, managing two artists signed every year
- potentially, join BBC Radio Scotland Introducing staff on live real projects—a unique opportunity exclusive to Ayrshire College
- access our studio during the day when it's not in use to further enhance your skills
Next Step and Career Opportunities
After you successfully complete this course, you may have the opportunity to:
- progress to HND Sound Production.
- pursue a music-related degree at a university, focusing on sound production or post-production (editing)
- begin your career as a freelance engineer, remixer, or post-production engineer.
explore diverse career paths within the music and sound industry, including roles like Live Sound/Studio Engineer, Producer, Music Remixer, Freelance Music Producer, Sound Designer, Electronic Music Producer, Guitar/Drum Technician, Tour Manager, Performer, Songwriter, or Event Organiser
Why Choose This Course?
By choosing our HNC Sound Production course, you'll acquire essential skills and knowledge for a successful career in the dynamic world of audio production. You'll gain hands-on experience with industry-standard equipment and have the chance to work on exciting real-world projects. This course empowers you to pursue a variety of rewarding careers in the music and sound industry.
If you're passionate about sound and music, this course is your gateway to a fulfilling career path.