Travel and Tourism
HNC Travel and Tourism
Full-time, one year
Are you interested in travelling or having the opportunity to see the world through working abroad? Or perhaps when you were at school, you studied Travel & Tourism and would like to take it to the next level.
As the world slowly starts to get back to normal, Travel & Tourism will emerge as one of the boom industries. So, this is the best time to begin your journey and kick start your career in this fast-paced environment.
Therefore, to start your journey with us, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- A genuine interest in working in the travel and tourism industry
- A strong focus on customer care in a service driven environment
- Core skills of Communication and Numeracy at Level 6
- One relevant Higher at grade C or above
- An appropriate SCQF Level 6 course or equivalent
- A one-to-one interview with us
However, if you do not have formal qualifications but have life experience, we will also consider you for a place on the programme, so please still apply.
We also encourage you to try and gain experience working in the industry while you are on this course, which is valuable to your study.
Travel and tourism is an exciting and enjoyable industry. If you’d like to work with people and help them have a great visit or holiday experience, this course will develop the skills and knowledge you need. Like all our tourism courses, it’s fun, modern, and entirely relevant for the current tourism industry.
With this Level 7 course, you’ll look in detail at global tourism and how important it is to the economy, how we can sell tourist destinations, and what it’s got to offer visitors. You’ll look at tour guiding and the importance of well-organised tours and itineraries to a tourist attraction.
You’ll learn how to market your destinations effectively, including making the best use of digital and social media. You’ll focus on customer care and satisfaction and explore business and ICT elements.
You’ll learn how to produce reports and develop clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Go on study visits to destinations such as Edinburgh, Stirling, Newcastle, and Arran to visit attractions like Edinburgh Dungeons, Battle of Bannockburn, Beamish Heritage Museum and Auchrannie Resort.
- Research, plan and lead a tour (possibly during the visit).
- Hear from professional industry experts who’ll give you their top tips for working successfully in the travel and tourism sector.
- Take part in volunteering opportunities and support local events/charities to help build your skills for employment.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto an SCQF Level 8 course, such as HND Travel & Tourism
- Starting your career in the travel and tourism industry
Potential careers include:
- National tourist organisations
- Travel management companies
- Visitor centres/attractions
- Tour operations manager
- Travel agents
- Airport ground handling
- Foreign exchange services
- Overseas resort rep
- Cruise ships
There’s also the potential for you to develop into a management role or set up your own business.
See our blog on why tourism is a great career choice here