Art and Design
HNC Visual Communication (Graphic Design, Illustration and Animation)
Full-time, one year
If you’re interested in a career as a graphic designer or illustrator, this is the course for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in art and design
- One Higher, preferably Art and Design with English at National 5 or above OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6 or equivalent, such as Art and Design
- An interview with us
- A portfolio of your work
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have appropriate experience or training, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
Look about you. Everything you see is a form of visual communication - from branding and book covers, to digital media, photography and web design. You’ll need skills in all these areas to become a graphic designer or illustrator, and this course will help you develop them.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Graphic design - learning how to interpret a brief, create concepts and produce finished design solutions.
- Illustration - developing your existing drawing, design and media skills in projects such as children’s book and stylised illustration
- Animation – Designing and animating characters and visuals using stop motion and motion graphics
- Photography - learning How to take a good photo through the use of composition, lighting and Photoshop
- Web design - learning how to plan, design and build your own website.
- Magazine Design - learning to create designs, layouts and finished publications using industry software such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Printmaking - producing professional quality print, through using plates, stencils or screens.
- Art and design context - going on a journey from the Renaissance Period Pop Art to the present day.
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Work on live briefs for local businesses, community projects or events.
- Take part in national competitions.
- Work with local artists, such as a digital art project with Billy McCall.
- Exhibit your work, including external venues like Mclaurin Art Gallery or local design studios.
- Be involved in the Creative Department’s Annual End of Year Show.
- Possibly go on work experience placements.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Visual Communication
- Exploring your future career options including: Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Animator, Printmaker, Photographer, Production Designer, Web Designer, Social Media Designer.
With additional qualifications, you may be able to progress to a degree programme, such as BA Digital Art at UWS, or a degree course at e.g. Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh School of Art, Duncan of Jordanstone in Dundee, Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen, Edinburgh Napier University or Perth College.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS