Sport and Fitness
HND Fitness, Health and Exercise
Full-time, one year
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise
- An interview with us
- To become a member of the PVG scheme
This course builds on the HNC, giving you a deeper understanding of the major factors relevant to the fitness industry, and preparing you for employment.
To succeed, you’ll need to be motivated and willing to carry out a lot of independent research and study.
On completion, you’ll have the opportunity to join the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) as a Level 3 Personal Trainer. This qualification is highly sought after within the industry and in itself can lead to employment opportunities.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Personal Training - you’ll develop skills to help you progress from a Gym Instructor to Personal Trainer, the next step in helping people change their lives. You’ll learn to develop sessions and plan ahead properly to offer your clients the best service possible. You’ll also look at metabolic considerations.
- Current Exercise Trends - the fitness industry never sits still - from spin to metafit, to body pump to yoga, there’s always a new twist. We’ll introducing you to the most up to date trends.
- Exercise and Fitness Assessment for Specialist Groups - to make you stand out from the crowd, you'll learn the skills needed to work with niche groups such as children, older adults or pre and post natal clients.
- Applied Nutrition Assessment and Prescription - there’s a lot more to it than simply counting calories. You’ll learn how to give the whole nutritional picture to your client.
- Group Exercise Sessions - 1 to 1 training is important, but nothing beats motivating a large exercise class - get the music on!
- Start a Business - you’ll learn what you need to know to "go it alone" - and to start your own fitness business.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto 2nd or 3rd year of a degree course at university such as Sport Coaching and Sports Development.
- Seeking to start your career. On completion of your HND you will be ideally placed to move directly into industry employment thanks to REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) accreditation at Level 3. Possible roles include Gym Instructor, Gym/Fitness Suite Management, Personal Training, Fitness Class leader (including extensive self-employed opportunities), Active Schools Co-ordinator or Sport/Health Promotion Role.