Art and Design
Introduction to Art and Design
Full-time, one year
If you’re creative and are keen to make a career out of it, this course is a great place to start.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real love of creativity
- Four National 4s or equivalent, ideally including Art and Design
- A relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- An interview with us
- A portfolio of your work, demonstrating your drawing skills in particular
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course will help you develop your creative skills in fine art and graphic design.
By the end of the year, you’ll have created a portfolio for progression to a higher level of study which will be bursting with items you’ve produced or designed, including:
- Digital photographs
You’ll develop other skills too, such as:
- The design process
- Art and design software
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Exhibit your work in College, and possibly at external venues.
- Work on live briefs for community projects or local businesses, such as creating pop-up banners for a local charity.
- Go on trips to galleries and exhibitions, like the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh or Kelvingrove in Glasgow.
- Take part in workshops with local, practising artists.
- Be involved in the Creative Department’s Annual End of Year Show.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 6 course, such as NC Art and Design or Art and Design (Graphic Route)
- Exploring your future career options including: Self-Employed Artist, Practising Artist, Community Arts, Youth Arts Worker, Jewellery Designer, Art Therapist, Teacher.