Photography and Media
Introduction to Photography
Full time, one year
This course is ideal if you’re thinking about a career in either photography or media, but aren’t yet sure which path to take.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in photography
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience and a portfolio of your photography, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you a good foundation in capturing and editing both still and moving images. You’ll be taught by award winning photographers, working to high standards and deadlines to help prepare you for the real world.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- In photography, you’ll start with the basics, including technical and creative aspects of using a camera. You’ll then develop skills in photographing people and places, going on location for interior and exterior shots. You’ll learn to enhance and manipulate digital images, developing skills in Photoshop.
- You’ll look at the visual elements of web content and showcase your own work.
And like all our photography students, you’ll have the chance to:
- Take part in live briefs, such as providing photography for a local retailer or community projects.
- Go on trips to photography exhibitions and studios.
- Display your work in public exhibitions.
- Enter competitions judged by professional photographers.
- Hear top tips from guest speakers who work in professional photography.
- Take part in internal and external events, such as the fashion shows and employer dinners.
- Work with other creative students, such as hair or make-up artistry, with photography for their portfolios.
This course includes NPA Photography Level 5.
In this course you will have built transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 6 course such as Photography or Film and Broadcasting
- Exploring your future career options including: Researcher, Runner, Editorial Assistant, TV/Radio/Film Producer, Video Content Producer, Social Photographer, Portrait Photographer, Press Photographer, Fashion Photographer, Corporate Photographer or Photo Editor.
With additional qualifications, you may be able to progress to a degree programme, such as Broadcast Production or Filmmaking and Screenwriting at UWS, or media courses at eg Glasgow, Glasgow Caledonian, Stirling, Queen Margaret or Edinburgh Napier Universities; Edinburgh or City of Glasgow College; or Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS