Skills For Work - Early Education and Childcare (Greenwood Academy) Level 5
This course is for school pupils only
Please note the apply button will state Kilwinning Campus.
Greenwood Academy and Kilwinning Campus
Tuesday (in school) and Thursday (in college)
2:00 - 4:00
Who is the Course for
The course is designed as an introduction to Early Education and Childcare at Level 5 and gives you an understanding of the demands and responsibilities of working in the sector. It also provides suitable progression if you have studied the Level 4 Early Education and Childcare course.
What is the Course About
SCQF level 5 Skills for Work: Early Learning and Childcare is an introductory qualification that develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for working within the sector, including:
an understanding of the workplace and your responsibilities (e.g., timekeeping, appearance)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- skills to become effective jobseekers and employees
You will study four units, and these are: -
- Development and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Play in Early Learning and Childcare
- Working in Early Learning and Childcare
- Care and Feeding of Children
To achieve the Course award, you must successfully achieve all the Units listed above.
What do I Need
You should have:
- Achieved or be working towards National 5 English
- A real interest in Early Learning and Childcare
- Be committed to consistent and full attendance throughout the course.
Selection for a place on this course is based on pupils meeting the above requirements and completing a Microsoft Forms task which will be emailed to you; your personal statement and task content will be used to assess your suitability for this course.
How will I be Assessed
The assessments used in this Course will allow you to demonstrate a competence in key knowledge, skills and attitudes required in early education and childcare sector. Assessment approaches will include closed book and project based activities.
This Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to Early Learning and Childcare (SCQF level 6)
What do current students say
I learned a lot about early education last year on the level 4 course but we've built on that a lot this year and I'm really sure this the area I'd like to work in. It's been great studying at college this year. I'm coming to do Early Education fulltime next year and being here, getting to know the lecturers and the building has made me a lot more confident about coming to college next year.