Skills for Work Early Learning and Childcare (Level 5)
East, North and South Ayrshire schools
This course is for school pupils only
Location / Day / Time
Ayr, Kilmarnock and Kilwinning Campus
Tuesday and Thursday
2:00 - 4:00
Who is the course for
The course is designed as an introduction to Early Learning and Childcare at Level 5 and gives you an understanding of the demands and responsibilities of working in the sector. It also provides suitable progression if you have studied the Level 4 Early Learning and Childcare course.
What is the course about
Dillan tells us why he recommends a career in Early Years, and why he loves going to work every day!
SCQF level 5 Skills for Work: Early Learning and Childcare is an introductory qualification that develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for working within the sector, including:
- an understanding of the workplace and your responsibilities (e.g., timekeeping, appearance)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- skills to become effective jobseekers and employees
You will study four units, and these are:
- Development and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Play in Early Learning and Childcare
- Working in Early Learning and Childcare
- Care and Feeding of Children
To achieve the Course award, you must successfully achieve all the Units listed above.
What are the entry requirements
You should have:
- Achieved or be working towards National 5 English
- A real interest in Early Learning and Childcare
- Be committed to consistent and full attendance throughout the course.
Selection for a place on this course is based on pupils meeting the above requirements and completing a Microsoft Forms task which will be emailed to you; your personal statement and task content will be used to assess your suitability for this course.
How will I be assessed
The assessments used in this course will allow you to demonstrate a competence in key knowledge, skills and attitudes required in early education and childcare sector.
Assessment approaches will include closed book and project-based activities.
What should I expect
You should expect to take part in individual and group activities whilst learning about Early Learning and Childcare. You will learn about the theories relating to young children’s development and supporting their learning. You will carry out written tasks using your online skills and class notes as well as demonstrating the practical skills needed in the education and care of you children.
This Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to Early Learning and Childcare (SCQF Level 6).