Care Experienced Students
Our Promise to Care Experienced Students
Ayrshire College is a Corporate Parent. This means we have a legal responsibility to support our Care Experienced students. We have created an Action Plan to ensure that we continue to develop as a Corporate Parent and to ensure we uphold our legislative duties. The action plan is regularly reviewed and updated to ensure our commitment to you. We have staff who have completed specific training in Corporate Parenting.
Ayrshire College is committed to supporting students to ensure they have a positive learning experience. We also offer support to students who have been, or who are currently looked after by their local authority or in kinship care. The support we offer to Care Experienced young people is discussed and agreed on an individual basis. We have named contacts on each campus who are outlined below. Please remember to let us know if you are Care Experienced.
We offer a wide range of support for Care Experienced Students:
- Priority processing of applications
- A guaranteed interview if you meet the course entry requirements
- Prioritised student funding and childcare
- A dedicated member of the Inclusive Learning team to meet with you to work out what support you need and put a personal support plan in place if necessary
- We will work with you and your key workers to make sure that you get the support you need
There is specific funding available if you meet certain criteria with regards to Care Experience.
Student Experience Team Leaders
- Wendy McColl (Ayr) 01294 555325
- Teri Evans (Kilmarnock) 01294 555325
- Sylvia Marshall (Kilwinning) 01294 555325
- Email: Inclusive Learning email@example.com
Ayrshire College Student Association is currently developing support networks for those students who are in, or have been in care. The Student President and Vice President are available on each campus and are happy to have a chat with students about issues and concerns.