Health and Social Care
Access to Health and Social Care
Full time, 18 weeks
If you’re interested in a career in the care sector, such as health care, social care or childcare, this course is a great place to start.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working with people
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you a good introduction to what you’ll need to know and understand to work successfully in a care practice setting. The focus is on understanding why people use care services, and developing your skills to support the health and wellbeing of others.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll explore the Health Sector in Scotland looking specifically at health and social care provision, and what’s involved in working in the care sector.
- You’ll develop basic health awareness, including the main body systems (such as respiratory and digestive) and how to take basic health measurements like pulse or blood pressure.
- You’ll look at human development and behaviour to understand the needs of people using care services.
- You’ll explore how social influences can impact on people and their life chances. You’ll look at what society can do to improve the life chances of individuals using care services.
- You’ll learn about working safely, with the emphasis on the spread of infection and how to control it.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. Essential Skills could include a combination of SQA Core Skills units such as communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
- Finally, you’ll have the chance to focus on your own Personal Development, building your confidence, self reliance and interpersonal skills through a range of projects.
Throughout the course, you’ll hear from a range of guest speakers, including people from the health board, local care services and the police.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 5 course such as NC Health and Social Care or NC Early Education and Childcare
- Exploring your career options in the care sector.