Hospitality and Professional Cookery
Advanced Professional Cookery
Full-time, one year
If you’ve got aspirations to be a high level chef, then this course can help you achieve your goal.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working in the hospitality industry
- Professional Cookery (Level 5) or Hospitality (Level 5) or another relevant course at Level 5
- Core skills of Communication and Numeracy at Level 5
- An interview with us
If you don’t have any formal qualifications, but have appropriate industry experience, knowledge and skills, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
By this level, your cookery skills will already be high - but you’re going to take them even further! You’ll cook a wide variety of complex soups, sauces, meat and fish main courses and simply stunning desserts. For every dish you make, your presentation will be first class.
You’ll spend a day a week working in the production kitchen of one of our live restaurants - either Inver at the Ayr Campus, or Salt and Barrel at Kilmarnock - where you’ll prepare top quality food for customers.
And like all our hospitality courses, you’ll have the chance to:
- Participate in real functions such as business events or bespoke dinners.
- Go on visits to restaurants or hotels such as Trump Turnberry or Lochgreen House in Troon.
- Join in Masterclasses from local industry professionals.
- Hear top tips on how to get ahead in hospitality from leading employers, successful venue owners and industry suppliers.
- Take part in competitions such inter-campus competitions or the national Student Team Challenge.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
Interested? Come in for an informal chat to find out more. Email Richard Canale at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Maggie Garrard on 01563 523501 extension 8662 or email email@example.com
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving on to a relevant HNC course at Level 7 such as HNC Professional Cookery or HNC Hospitality Applying for a wide variety of jobs with aspirations of becoming Senior Commis Chef, Junior Sous Chef or Chef de Partie, and on to Head Chef or Executive Chef
See our blog on why hospitality is a great career choice here