Hospitality and Professional Cookery
Bakery and Patisserie
SCQF Level 6
Full-time, one year
If you are serious about taking your existing bakery skills to a higher level, then this is the course for you. For this new course you will need:
- NC Bakery at SCQF Level 5, and
- Core skills at SCQF Level 5
- You will also be considered for an interview if you have previous experience, but no qualifications, in this area
It goes without saying that you need to be creative, a team worker with an eye for detail and be able to work under pressure in a fast-moving environment.
This course will give you the opportunity to build on the skills gained during the successful completion of the NC Level 5 Bakery course.
You will be developing your baking skills, knowledge and techniques through units such as Complex Dough Products and Complex Cakes, Sponges, Biscuits and Scones. Your patisserie skills will also be advanced through units such as Complex Hot and Cold Desserts.
Food hygiene, allergen training and related theory will make up the rest of the course.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving on to a Level 7 bakery or patisserie course
- Seeking to start your career in the baking industry with a job or Modern Apprenticeship programme
Bakers work in many different types of outlets and your potential employers include:
- In-house bakery in a hotel or restaurant
- Large scale commercial bakery
- Specialist or artisan bakery
- Starting your career towards becoming a Head or Executive Chef, or setting up and running your own business