Full time, one year
This course gives you a good foundation for working in an accounting role. You’ll look at the key areas of accounting, and the IT knowledge and software which supports it. You’ll also explore other relevant topics to working in business.
Here's just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll learn how to record financial information, complete a VAT return and prepare financial statements.
- You’ll look at cost accounting and recording costs, as well as management accounting using IT, learning how to present financial information such as budget statements.
- You’ll learn to use financial accounting software to process transactions and prepare accounts for a small business, as well as SAGE payroll.
- You’ll look at the UK Income Tax system and in particular Pay As You Earn (PAYE).
- You’ll explore business law, including Scots business Law and law of contracts.
- You’ll learn about economics issues and how they impact on the business environment, including national income and the role of government policy in the UK market.
- You’ll look at business communication, learning how to produce high quality business documents, and develop skills for performing effectively at meetings or presentations.
Finally, you’ll have the chance to:
- Visit a Sheriff Court as part of your studies in Scots Law, and observe a real case.
- Work on real Case Studies for local businesses, such as a business plan.
- Meet local business employers who’ll give you their top tips for successful interviews, tell you the skills they look for when recruiting new employees and explain what it’s really like starting up a new business.
- Take part in enterprising activities, such as raising funds for charity and good causes.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Accounting (Level 8)
- Seeking to start your career as a book keeper or in the accounts department of a wide range of businesses.