HNC Business with Management
Full time, one year
Good business and IT skills are needed in every type of industry and for all sizes of business – from small local firms to large multinationals, or public sector organisations such as the NHS and local councils. Our business courses give you the right skills and knowledge to prepare you for a wide range of exciting careers - they’re relevant, practical and bang up to date with what businesses are looking for from new employees.
This course will give you the practical skills and knowledge you’ll need to work successfully in business, with an emphasis on management, along with a general understanding of how businesses operate - including HR, marketing, customer care, IT and finance.
If you’ve got aspirations for a career in business or management, then this course can help you on your way.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working in the business world
- A minimum of 1 Higher and ideally proven level English or Maths at SCQF 5/6, although we’ll consider a relevant group of NQ Units at SCQF Level 6 or Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have previous employment, practical or life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you the practical skills and knowledge you need to work successfully in business and management, along with a general understanding of how businesses operate - including HR, marketing, customer care, IT and finance.
Firstly, you’ll look at managing people and organisations. You’ll explore management theories and learn about leadership and recruitment.
You’ll look at the important role of marketing, and learn about marketing practice, including pricing strategies, distribution channels and the promotional mix.
You’ll learn about economics issues and how they impact on the business environment.
You’ll become highly proficient in IT, developing your skills and knowledge of software applications to an advanced level.
You’ll look at business communication, learning how to produce high quality business documents, and develop skills for performing effectively at meetings or presentations.
You’ll explore the critical role of good customer care, learning about meeting customer expectations, dealing with problems and aftercare.
On the financial side, you’ll develop skills in business accounting, including financial statements and cash budgets.
You’ll also look at law within business, including Scots Law, consumer legislation and law in employment.
Finally, you’ll have the chance to:
- Work on real Case Studies for local businesses, such as a business plan
- Meet local business employers who’ll give you their top tips for successful interviews, tell you the skills they look for when recruiting new employees and explain what it’s really like starting up a new business
- Take part in enterprising activities, such as raising funds for charity and good causes
Some students may also have the opportunity to go on placement or secure part-time/summer work via our links with local employers.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 8 course such as HND Business
- Moving onto a degree course at university, via our articulation arrangements
- Seeking to start your career in business
Potential careers include:
- HR assistant, marketing advisor, business advisor, customer services officer or a local government role
- Setting up and running your own business