Hospitality and Professional Cookery
Full time, one year
For entry to this course, you’ll need to have:
- A real interest in baking
- A desire to develop a career in the baking industry
- Core skills of Communication, ICT and Numeracy at Level 4
It’s also really valuable if you can gain experience of working in the industry while you’re on this course.
Baking has made a comeback. It’s hugely popular once again, probably at least partly due to a certain TV show! There are also more and more small bakeries opening up. This course will give you the bakery skills, techniques and knowledge you’ll need to start your career in this specialised industry or to move up to the next level of study.
- You’ll start by learning to bake - a lot! If you’ve seen it on ‘Bake Off’, you’ll make it on this course. Breads, doughs, pastries, meringues, gateaux, tray bakes, cupcakes, sponge cakes, Christmas cakes.
- You’ll also learn professional techniques, top industry tips, cake decorating skills and how to present and serve your products for people to buy.
- You’ll find out what you need to know to successfully work in the industry - from food hygiene to safety - and go on real-life work experience.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in national competitions, such as the Student Team Challenge or the Breadmaking Challenge.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
- Finally, we’ll help you develop your skills for employment, including Level 5 communication, working as part of a team and preparing for interview.
Interested? Come in for an informal chat to find out more. Contact Maggie Garrard on 01563 523501 extension 8662 or email email@example.com
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving on to a Level 6 or 7 bakery or patisserie course
- Seeking to start your career in the baking industry with a job or Modern Apprenticeship programme
Bakers work in many different types of outlets and your potential employers include:
- In-house bakery in a hotel or restaurant
- Large scale commercial bakery
- Specialist or artisan bakery
- Starting your career towards becoming a Head or Executive Chef, or setting up and running your own business
See our blog on why hospitality is a great career choice here