Sport and Fitness
HNC Sports Coaching and Development (Largs Academy)
All Ayrshire Schools
Who is the course for?
If you’re into sport and fitness and are thinking about a future career in the sport, exercise or leisure industry, this course can help you on your way. It covers all aspects of sports coaching and development, giving you the knowledge and skills you’ll need to confidently develop participant talent within a range of sports.
What is the course about?
You’ll spend a lot of your day in the coaching environment. However there’s also a fair bit of theory and written elements, so be prepared to spend time in the classroom as well as self-study.
You’ll have the chance to:
- Gain hands on, industry led experience, through a weekly placement with a community partner (eg Active Schools, Leisure Trusts).
- You’ll hone your coaching skills in a real life sporting environment, developing young athletes.
- Learn top tips for success from people who work in the industry, such as Kilmarnock FC, Nil by Mouth, Colours of our Scarves.
- You’ll also be encouraged to extend your industry work and volunteering out with school, to maximise your chances of networking and employment.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Sports Coaching Theory and Practice - what type of coach will you become?
- Sports Development - you’ll create a plan so your chosen sport gets more people hooked.
- Coaching Children - you'll learn how to best to support physical learning for young participants.
- Flexibility Training, Fitness Training & Testing, Strength & Conditioning - you'll learn how to avoid overload, measure improvements to get the best from your participants and make sure they’re fit enough to play their sport safely.
- Inclusive Sports Provision - you’ll learn how to provide safe and effective sports coaching to people with disabilities.
- Psychology - you'll learn how to motivate your participants and allow them to set goals to ensure success.
- Anatomy, Physiology and Energy Systems - you’ll explore how the body works so you can help sports people train properly.
What do i need?
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in sport and fitness
- 2 Higher passes A-C
How will i be assessed?
Mainly written assessments of a closed book and assignment based nature. We will also assess your leading and coaching from the point of view of planning, doing and evaluating your sessions. Assessment is ongoing throughout the year so no “big exams” to worry about.
Successful completion of this Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to a full time HND year 2 course in Coaching and Developing Sport. This means you could complete the full HND just 1 year after leaving school. To take this route we would ask that learners complete additional “articulation” credits in May/June.